Wednesday, December 14, 2011

There is a body... And Christ is the head.

Hello to all. I just wanted first to give a brief update on how things are going here, and then jot some thoughts down. It's been a full first full day back at home, with going back to the hospital for a shot and other orientation events and then trying to get fully settled back home. I'm feeling ok. Thankfully still haven't suffered any extreme chemo side affects as of yet. Praying that that continues. Getting my strength back is the hardest thing right now, but I'm thinking that's gonna come with time.

It's been fun today to thoroughly go through all the cards and gifts from people, some of the highlights have been the Lord of the Rings pez, courtesy of the Evans, the free loader fork, courtesy of Julia Stone, and the pet food from Matt Griffin for my PET scan earlier this week! It was good Matt. But there has just been so many encouraging cards and gifts and videos and all sorts of stuff, that my heart has just been overwhelmed with love for you all. You know, it is God who has been faithful throughout this whole process and he will continue to be so in the darkest times, that's what he does. So I'm going to be relying on him and his word first and foremost throughout this whole cancer ordeal. But at the same time, I have never been more overwhelmed with the power and love of the body of Christ than this past week and a half. It makes me so joyful to be a Christian! And it's not just the cards and gifts, it's the hospital visits, it's the food, it's the encouraging words, and it's especially your prayers. I've discovered that I've literally been prayed for around the world by Christians I don't even know! How awesome is that?!

The church has just been incredible and I have seen Christ in you all. After all, this is the way the world will know we are Jesus' disciples, by our love for one another. So keep it up! Not just to me, but to everyone in the church who needs support, and really go for it with how yu show yur love. Be daring. and in turn we will all be blessed, Christ will be praised, and the world will know Him! Good deal if you ask me. And for those of you on the outside of the family of God, those who may be reading this who do not yet know Jesus, what are you waiting on? Why are you waiting out in the cold when we are having our Christmas party inside. What's so good outside the family of God that you so desperately want to hold onto? Come on in. There's room by the fire, where Jesus is King, and we've got a place for you.

I'm thankful for the church. I'm thankful for my closest friends and my family. I'm thankful that with you guys and with the help from Jesus, I will get through this difficult time. Cuz y'all are awesome, and I'm thankful to be a small part in theis grand body of Christ.

3 comments:

  1. ha ha- dog food for your PET scan. That's a good one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jonny,

    Just wanted to let you know that my family and I are praying for you! I'm not sure if I've ever met you, but I think we 2nd cousins or 1st cousins once removed, or something like that (Pearl is the one we need to ask!)

    Your Grandparents in Dallas are my "Uncle Bob and Aunt Pearl". I am the son of Ken Lightner, and my name is Danny. I have been in the ministry for 11 years now: 2 years as a pastor for college students, 7 years as a youth pastor, and now 2 years as an Adult Ministries Pastor. "Uncle Bob" told my dad that you desire to go into ministry (I'm getting this 2nd and 3rd hand, so please forgive me if I'm wrong!).

    We'll be praying that God will fulfill that desire of your heart, and that he will make you stronger and more effective in ministry because of this ordeal you are going through!

    My wife has a blog too, and I've posted the link below in case you want to get to know our family a little better in your spare time.

    Thank you so much for using this trial that you are going through as a method for bringing glory to God! One of MY favorite passages comes to mind when I read your blog, and it is when Jesus heals the blind man in John 9. Obviously, this man went through a great physical ordeal for most of his life, and the reason? "So that the glory of God might be displayed in His life." Thank YOU for using this trial to point people to Christ.

    Here's my wife's blog: http://sarah-chocolatemommy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Danny! And it's great to hear from you! Thanks for the encouraging comment and for the prayers! I'll be sure to check out your wife's blog to get to know y'all. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete