Friday, December 9, 2011

Out of the frying pan into the fire... From Monday to Friday.

Hello to everyone!

Well, this one is gonna be a long one, and mostly informational and narrative. I want to get the details out of what has been going on with this whole deal, so that those that are interested in knowing will hear it dirctly from me.

As most of you this whole thing started with a cough seven weeks ago on one cold fronted day in October. I thought nothing of it at the time except, welp, here comes a cough. Weeks went by and the cough grew worse, but I have battled coughs and stuff all my life so again I didnt think much of it. I took some over the counter drugs eventually, but they just didn't seem to help. Around nov 10th, I finally decided to see a doctor. He determined that it was an upper respiratory infection and acute bronchitis, both diagnoses seeming very reasonable and consistent with what was going on. Happily pleased to have that problem solved and with sufficient steroids and antibiotics, I went on my way, had a great Fall Retreat with the youth group, butcould never get rid of the cough.

Thanksgiving week came, and with the awesome scheduling of Reading Week at Criswell, I thought it was the perfect time for me to get rest that week and get over this sickness, whatever it was. Unforunately, that was not the case. Continually I was feeling more fatigued, coughed more, and generally more out of breath with the beginnings of a high heart rate.
The next week began the next set of symptoms. My neck began to swell and my jaw began to hurt and swell, which made me look like a younger Santa Claus! (perhaps thats really what's going on ;) ). My heartrate was consistly faster, and it felt as if I were always exercising. Which for a guy like me and the ginormity of my muscles wasn't such a stretch :). Matt and Ben know all about stuff like that.

Well, Monday of this week rolls along, and after night after night of sweats and uncomfortably, and feeling crummy, it was time to go to the doctor. So I went to another doctor closer by, and by the way, my face looked hilarious. That day I couldn't look at myself in the mirror because it would just make me laugh. Probably exactly what y'all experience every day. When you see me normally, but now i understand! So, immediately the doctor notices, not the cough problem, but the elevated heart rate and high blood pressure I had. It was like I was running a marathon just sitting still! He immediately after seeing some abnormalities in my EKG, decided that I needed to be sent to a cardiologist. So here I go to meet Dr. Carry down at Baylor. She was awesome! Such a blessing!

After much of the same after her appointment, she decided to admit me over night. Now this was something that I had never wanted to do, was be admitted into the hospital for something serious. Well, we get a room and the tests to see what was wrong with my heart begin. Echo, that was a cool sonogram deal where they saw fluid aroundmy heart, chest x-ray, and after hearing I had been in Uganda last summer, a CAT scan. So CAT party begins, and the tech comes back and says nonchalantly, we're gonna do the scan again because you have a mass around heart. What?! Uh...I was somewhat speechless, but at the time there was not much to be done except continue the test.

Fast forward to Tuesday morning. The wonderful Dr. Carry comes in and says, well God works in mysterious ways (you'll hear about those mysterious ways in another post.) bottom line, you have a large mass pushing against your lungs and large arteries around your heart. We need to biopsy this immediately to see what we are dealing with and then begin treatment right away. Wow. What shocking news. I want to be open in this blog with my struggles through all of this for the purpose that you might see God at work in all of that, and that he is still God amidst tragedy, in fact I might contend that he does his best work when things are not going how we would have planned them at all. Needless to say, I had seen people hear bad news and had watched them get nauseous andy throw up, thinking to myself, that's such a weird response. Like, keep it together man! Wel,now I now the feeling. News like that was not something I ever would have heard, especially as a 22 year old.

Later the morning the oncologists came in and did some tests and other stuff, and then the biopsy that night. At this point iwant to take the time to thank everyone who has come out to visit me and pray with me and support me. Your testimony has been overwhelming, and I have been strengthened through your love and prayers and through the spirit dwelling inside of you. And your love shines not only to our fqmily, but is seen by all those working at the hospital, and you are a testimony of Jesus to them. Thank you so much! I've never felt more blessed.
So biopsy came and went, my first surgery,and boy thank goodness for that happy juice they giv you.things went smoothly and I got to spend the night in icu. Well, this ws a blessing and curse. There was a machine that sounded like a washing machine going on for one patient across the room of four, and another patient had just had major heart surgery so he's crying out in pain all night. So no sleep for me. But hey, that just means I got to spend time with some sweet and attractive nurses attended to me the whole night. Can't beat that!

The next morning came a transfer to the room that I am in now, and with it came a bone marrow biopsy! Yikes! You know, there are things called bucket lists, things you want to do before you die. Well I have a "hole-in-the-bucket" list and on it are things i never want to do before I die. Of these on the top of the list were, not be admitted to the hospital, not ever have surgery , and certainly not have a bone marrow biopsy.i've seen enough house episodes to know otherwise :)! Check. Check.check. God sure does work in mysterious ways, does he not?the rest of the day was filled with encouraging visitors who provided so much joy and comfort amidst all the trying times going on. Someone even dressed up as an elf (thanks jenni:) you're awesome, even though I know it wasn't totally for me:) )! I cant say it enough how much your support from family,the church, and the school, has meant to meandmy family. We've had people we don't know come by cuz someone had told their Sunday school class, so they came and prayed. its just been awesome!

Well,let's get to Thursday, because I know this is a long post, but i wanted to be thorough so you all could be on the same page if you have been praying ( after this you might start praying for smaller blog posts). Thursday started with a PET scan, which is all we thought we were doing Thursday. Ohohno! More tests and fun procedures. And it ended with the diagnosis of what I have. The tumor in my chest is a non-hodgkins mediastinal b cell lymphoma common among those my age (those of course who get cancer). Thankfully it hasn't spread into my bone marrow, and they are awaiting the results on the PET scan, but they are going to start chemo here within the next few minutes (2 am Friday morning). They will attack it aggressively. Me, being so strong and muscular in prime physical condition they can just lay the chemo on me!
So the first journey of diagnosing has ended and the new journey of chemo is just now beginning. Out of the frying pan into the fire. Pray for strength. Pray for strength for my mom and dad.

Psalm 46 has been rolling through my head this whole ordeal. My paraphrase "god is our refuge and strength, an ever present trouble. Therefore Iwill not fear... Those this whole earth shakes away... There is a city whose streams make glad the holy place of God where the most high dwells. God is within her, she CANNOT fall, God will help her at break of day. The Lord almighty is with us, the God of Jacob is our fortress.... (and later) be still and know, that I am God.be still and know that i am God. I will be exalted among the nations I will be exalted on the earth. The Lord almighty is with us, the god of Jacob is our fortress. Amen. Learn that. Memorize that. Let it be your hearts cry in good times and in the most uncertain times. Be still and know that he is god. And by the way, I was still, and more than I,ve ever, amidst this trial, I know he is God and I know I am his son and that he will take care of me through all of this, whether by life or by death, he will be exalted among the nations, he will be exalted on the earth.

Well, the rest of my blogs will not be nearly this long and kudos to you who have made it to the end. There was a lot of material to cover. I'll give an update on the chemo procedures today or tomorrow depending on how I feel, but I also want to spend some time showing what God is doing and what he is teaching. Pray that those around us would have their faith strengthened and that some would come to Christ! Love you guys! You all mean the world to me (but only those who actually, read the whole thing lol). Just kidding! Love you guys!

Jonathan

16 comments:

  1. God be with you and your family during this trial. I am confident that through you He will do mighty things. What an awesome testimony He is weaving through you. I'm Collin Bufords mom and we know how hard a major trial can be for your family. Know we are praying for all of you. And we know that ALL things work together for good for those who love HIM and are called according to His purpose. Stay strong Jonny...Love in Christ, Lois Buford

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jonathan, thanks so much for keeping us all up to date! I did, in fact, make it through the whole post, so know that it's being read! I sincerely appreciate your openness and transparency from the very start. Mark and I pray for you every day and we cannot wait to watch God move in and through this time in your love.
    Love, Bre

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm praying for you brother. You are representing Him well; it does my soul good to see a man under such trail praise HIS NAME. I would love to come by and pray with you. If you would like a visitor message me your room number.
    Reguardless if I'm there or not I will be praying for you.
    "For this reason I bow my knees before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth is named, that according to the riches of his glory he may grant you to be strengthened with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith-that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may have strength to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled with all the fullness of God." ~Ephesisns 3:14-19

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your posting! I work with your father, and he has often spoken of you.
    My husband, Thom and I will continue to pray for you and your family.

    God bless,
    Tina Vars

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing your heart with all of us. I am praying for you and your entire family. I work with your dad and know what a blessing you are to your parents. Praying God's strength and peace amidst this unimaginable storm.
    Paula Allen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, praying for you and your family! -Tara Schwertner

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our family and the people of Northside will continue to hold you and your family up in prayer, asking for strength, wisdom and His glory. Can't wait to see God do some amazing things in and around you! Thank you for your awesome spirit and testimony to me and my family.
    -Mark Wilburn, Sr., pastor Northside Mesquite

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your faith is an inspiration! Please know you and your family are in our thoughts and prayers for strength, peace, and most especially healing.
    Kara Jander, Poteet Band Chaperone

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jonathan,
    We love you dude! You are such an awesome inspiration to us ALL. I'm sooooo thankful that the LORD placed you in my boys lives. You are someone that they look up to with such respect and admiration. You and your family are going through an unimaginable time. I can't even fathom all the thoughts and questions that must have gone through your mind in this past "whirl-wind of a week". I'm soooooo encouraged to hear how proactive Dr. Carry and the Team at Baylor are. I know there have been a lot of "God-things" that have enabled them to find out everything they have in these past 5 days. God is, and will continue to be glorified in and through you and your entire amazing family. We love you and are here to do anything day or night.

    Love ya hugs, and kisses tons and bunches !!!!!
    ~Lori Wisdom

    P.S. That Blog was nothin' but a thing, you obviously have not heard that Lori Wisdom does not know how to do a "Readers Digest Version" of anything that would come even close to your current circumstances. So keep on typin' we're glad to be kept update. Especially so we know specifically how to pray.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jonathan,

    I don't know if you remember me, my name is Gaby Duke(Rovelo) and I went to LakeRidge for a while, I'm friends with Sarah Bryan and Marcy Marek. Anyway I just want to say that your post is absolutly amazing! I really admire how despite what you are going through you are leaning on Him for comfort and strength. You're really an inspiration! I will keep you and your family in my prayers and thoughts. I pray that God will heal you and give you strength and help you to continue to lean on him throughout this time.

    There is no one like the God of Jeshurun, who rides the heavens to help you, and in His excellency on the clouds.The eternal God is your refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms; He will thrust out the enemy from before you, And will say, ‘Destroy!’

    -Deuteronomy 33:26-27

    ReplyDelete
  11. I suddenly awoke at 5:30 this morning and you were on my mind.As I was still before God thinking about how much we all love you,He reminded me of the depth of HIS love for you-that He who made the heavens and earth,knitted you in your mother's womb,died to be your Savior,knows when you sit and stand,the stars in the sky,who's every word is pure,who knows the end before the beginning, loves you beyond measure.I love how He showered me with this reassurance.Thinking of you Jonnyshotts ! When you get out of there,we need a Cranium rematch (since that other team won ;)).Of course,there will be food and dessert involved (and maybe little Abe) :) Zephaniah 3:17 The Lord your God is with you,He is mighty to save.He will take great delight in you,He will quiet you with His love,He will rejoice over you with singing ! love that !
    Love,
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love love your attitude. Love that you are learning AND being real through I-can't-even-imagine-how-tough tough times. You have been on my heart for days. I keep reading the updates to Jonathan...my husband...not you. :) So please know, that even from the Land of Enchantment, you are being prayed for!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jonathan,

    I think it is a true testimony to both the Lord and to your wonderful sense of humor and writing skills...that you made me laugh out loud twice while reading about such a serious matter. I haven't ever met you...but I can see the spirit of the Lord shining so brightly!

    I was friends with your mom back in the late 70's at Reinhardt Bible Church. I just discovered your blog and am so appreciative that you took the time to really take our hand and lead us through what is happening with you. I read it all.

    You share the beautiful name "Jonathan" along with my middle son (who is off teaching English in Poland). Every moment that I think of him....I will say a prayer for you on this journey....

    Remember also, that there will be moments when you are afraid and discouraged....and maybe not sharing those feelings....that God will be right there....right there touching your hand...wiping your brow.....His promise of "I am with you always...." is the greatest promise anyone can give...


    We have a large group of reconnected Reinhardt Bible Church friends and they are praying for you and your family as well.....

    God's peace be with you in each moment....

    ReplyDelete
  14. You just don't even know how much we love you. Our hearts are FULL. God is making Himself known through you. His glory shines so bright within you! Praise Him for the miraculous healing He is already doing in your body. He IS faithful. He IS faithfulness. You are His servant, His child, and are wrapped so tightly in His arms. We continue to pray for God's glory, your healing (which I believe are wrapped up together), and strength & peace for you & your family. You're pretty much part of our little family, so we need to kick some lymphoma booty & get this family together again. Abe says "whattup, g-daddy!"

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jonathan...what an amazing young man of God. I thank you for your incredible testimony and it is also my prayer that someone or someone(s) will see the awesome, mighty, power of God throughout your words. Our family will be praying for you and your family as you take each day that God gives you. You are truly a blessing. We love you. "Write Away Jonathan"

    May God give you "Grace for the Moment".

    Lynn, Diane, and Matthew

    ReplyDelete