Friday, February 3, 2012

Hair or no hair

I apologize for the length of time between posts. It has been nice to be able to get back to normal activities for the most part, and unfortunately I have not had too much time for introspection. But alas, the time for introspection has come again. Yesterday I had a PET scan to determine whether the cancer has metastasized (spread to other parts of my body) or been all but destroyed. We await the results of the scan either today or Monday. I go back in to the hospital for round 4 most likely on Monday as well. To be honest with you, I began to get anxious concerning the PET scan and its results. The results could be great, but they could also be something less than desired. We just don't know. Before I could let myself wallow in worry and fear, the Lord reminded me of a verse that my dad showed me my last stay in the hospital.

Round 3 was a pretty good round in the hospital. I felt pretty good the whole time, but as a result I was pretty stir crazy and most ready to get out of there. Emotionally, staying in the hospital was wearing me down. And in perfect timing, my dad reminded me of this verse. Matthew 10:30 "Even all the hairs on your head are numbered." Real funny, dad. Making bible jokes about my baldness. I should've pulled an Elisha and sicked some bears on him. But no, for some reason, this verse brought me great comfort, although in reality it shouldn't have. Think about it. God has all the hairs on my head numbered. Real hard. Even I could number the hairs on my head now. Zero. It would show that he would be wiser and more powerful if I had a full shaggy head of hair. But that's missing the point.

The point of the passage is not to fear man or the things of this world, but to fear God. God knows whether you have zero hairs on your head or have hair like a Wookie. And Jesus says we are more valuable than the sparrows who don't fall to the ground apart from the Father's will. It reminded me of Matthew 6 where he says not to worry about your life. God is totally in control. He cares for the sparrows so well, and we are so much more valuable than them. He cares for the flowers of the field, and yet we are so much more valuable than them. How much more will He care for us? So why should I worry about the results of the PET scan? God's got the hairs on my head numbered. Child's play.

What are we to do instead of worry? Seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things (life, clothes, food) will be added to us. Maybe even my hair back one day! So forget the worrying. Who ever added a day to his life by worrying?  Hair or no hair, favorable result or unfavorable result of this PET scan, I'm seeking first the kingdom of God and his righteousness. 

2 comments:

  1. Jonny, you go guy! Besides didn't someone once say bald is beautiful?!? I'm so greatfull that the LORD is teaching me things through your experiences too! Hopefully that saves HIM sometime. Not that HE needs it. HE owns the time. I will still be praying thought that the results of the PET Scan will BE favorable. I'll also be praying that you'll get them today so that you can check that off your list for the week and start mentally preparing for Round #4 on Monday. I'm sure Kyle, Trent, and the guys will be ready for their next Monopoly Marathon. Love ya man ~ Mrs. W. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jonny, Thanks again for timely words of encouragement! My friend Carey is going in for cancer surgery Monday - and as we reflect on everything God's been teaching us over the past several months, it's easy to see how His hand has led us each step of the way. So, as I told the ladies at church, don't stay in the shallow end of the pool of God's grace. Wade right in - waist deep, chest deep, and even sink down and let it cover your (bald) head. Blessings to you! Linda Kemp

    ReplyDelete